Downloading a GEDCOM
from a family tree on Ancestry
Whilst you can't save and print the tree that you built in Ancestry you can
export the data so that we can build you a chart which can be printed on one
Your family tree can be downloaded into a GEDCOM
file, a file format that allows genealogy files to be opened in most genealogy
Note: This is located in the upper
portion of the Family Trees page.
To download your personal member tree:
- Click Family Tree link on the Ancestry.com homepage.
- In the My Trees section, identify the tree you wish to download.
- Click the tree you wish to download.
- Click the Overview tab.
- In the tools area, which is located on the bottom right side of the page,
you will find Manage my Tree.
- Click the Manage my Tree link to the right of the tree name.
- Once your located in the Management Tools section of your tree,
click the Export
Note: A message at the top of the
page will appear, indicating the file is being converted to GEDCOM
format. When finished, the message will change to indicate this.
- When the message indicates conversion is completed, click the Download
. . . in GEDCOM
file format link
- When the next window appears, choose Save to Disk and continue
following the steps as prompted
Downloading GEDCOMs from
elsewhere on Ancestry
Two other locations on Ancestry allow users to download trees. These include
the Online Family Tree (which may or may not be available) and the Ancestry
World Tree / OneWorldTreeSM.
Downloading from Online Family Tree
Note: You must already
have an Online Family Tree. You can no longer create a new Online Family Tree.
If you have an Online Family Tree it would be located in the lower portion of
the Family Trees page.
To download an Online Family Tree:
- The tree will be located at the bottom right side of the home page of
- Click on the name of the tree you wish to download.
- In the Actions column next to the tree you wish to download,
click the download icon. This icon appears as a small square or page
- The file will be prepared for download, and may take a few minutes. When
the file is completely ready for download, a small arrow will appear at
the bottom of the download icon.
- Click the New icon. When prompted to open or save the file, click
- Create a name for the downloaded file and identify where you would like
the file to be saved, then click Save
Downloading from Ancestry World Tree
To download your tree from the World Trees:
- Click the Search tab at the top of the page.
- In the Browse Records section on the right, click the link for One
World Tree or Ancestry World Tree located under
the Family Trees heading.
- Perform a search for an individual in the tree you wish to download.
- Click the name of the appropriate tree from the list of search results.
- If you chose Ancestry World Tree, click Download GEDCOM
at the bottom and skip the rest of these steps.
- Select the Historical Records tab below the pedigree displayed
- Click the User-submitted trees link
- Click the name of the appropriate tree from the list of search results
- Click Download GEDCOM
at the bottom